Wednesday 13 October 2010

Locked Out!  Part Two

- An author’s plight to spend a night -

Having sent a letter to my local police station asking to spend the night in the cells, I was pleased to when an envelope marked 'Metropolitan Police’ came through my letterbox. Tearing open the envelope in the hopes of receiving a positive reply, I was saddened to discover that my request had been denied.

Although the letter was a rejection in essence, I still had the feeling it had been written with a slightly personal touch, as the letter stated that ‘not many people often request to spend the night in a cell!’

They explained that for health and safety and media reasons, it would not be appropriate for a member of the general public to walk around the cells unsupervised. They wished me all the best with my writing and hoped that I would not be dissuaded from continuing to work on my novel. I assure you I have no desire to stop writing – I will most likely write until the day my heart stops beating.

I have now decided to move onto the next option; use my limited connections and influence to see if that gets me any further. I have also decided that waiting for something that will, most likely, never happen will only hold me back and have decided to write about David’s night in the police cell using the faculty of imagination. Should I be granted a night in the cells,I shall adjust David’s experiences to better match my own.

As I said in the last ‘Locked Out!’ Entry, I will endeavour to keep you posted

No comments:

Post a Comment